Check out these Harissa spiced beetroot & millet burgers & prepare to turn your hands purple - inspired by the amazing guys at the Happy Pear.
3 bulbs of fresh beetroot
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 cloves of garlic
1 white onion
1 red pepper
2 teaspoons of Harissa
2 cups of millet
1 medium chilli
3-4 tablespoons of flaxseed
Spices used - cumin, chilli flakes.
1) wash & peel all the vegetables, including the beetroot (which may turn your fingers purple)
2) cut all the vegetables into small cubes, add the spices and a drizzle of olive oil & roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes (cooking time will depend on the size of the cubes)
3) cover the millet & vegan stock in a small pot with water & cook on med heat until all the water is absorbed. Then remove from the heat.
4) when the vegetables are soft through, remove and pop into a food processor or nutribullet with the Harissa & blitz until bind together.
5) add all the ingredients together in large mixing bowl with the flaxseed & mix together in your hands to form burger shaped patties. (If mixture is too moist try adding a little more flaxseed & if it is too dry add a flax egg - google)
6) return the burgers to the oven for another 15 - 20 minutes on medium heat turning occasionally.
7) remove & enjoy
This recipe worked perfectly for me first time & really should for you to, however the exact amounts used and cooking times are a guesstimation at best so give it a shot & don't be afraid to fail. Your purple hands should keep you amused should it all go drastically wrong anyway 😈