Coconut & chocolate energy bars - perfect for the upcoming Aware NI Slieve Donard Trek!
With just under 3 weeks left until we embark on our Slieve Donard Trek on #WMHDAY15 I feel its important to stress just how important a role adequate nutrition & hydration will play during the trek.
Simply put, being prepared could make the difference between an enjoyable, energy filled experience and a sluggish,lethargic & ultimately tough experience.
That's where these delicious high energy trail bars came in handy, as I used the bars to fuel up during two brief energy recharge pitstops on my trial trek last week. I found them to be both delicious and extremely effective at counteracting the early signs of fatigue during the trek.
So I thought It best to share the simple recipe with you guys, so that you can prep some at home, bring along to the trek & feel motivated and energy filled climbing to the top like I did.
What you will need
- 1 1/2 Cup of oats
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1 cup of sultanas or other dried fruit (no added sugar are best)
- 1 cup of mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower etc)
- 1/2 cup agave nectar (or honey or any sweetener you like)
- 1 cup of almond milk (or oat based, coconut, soy or regular milk)
- 1 tablespoonful of cinnamon
- Around 20-30ml of choc shot liquid chocolate spread for topping (could also use nutella or nut butter as topping just ensure its easily spread)
- For an extra earthy flavour roast the seeds in the oven for 10 minutes on a moderate heat.
- In a large mixing bowl add the oats, most of the coconut, the sultanas, cinnamon & agave nectar before adding the roasted seeds.
- Slowly add the milk and stir the mixture together by hand or a large wooden spoon, until It reaches the desired thickness (add more oats If it becomes too sloppy or add extra milk if its too dry)
- Portion & pop in your bag for the trek or as a delicious post workout treat.