At this time of year, courgettes grow fast and furious & with a usual suggested retail price of £1.60 per kg Lidl NI have outdone themselves again with their offer of 500g for 49p this week.
Courgettes are by no means a powerhouse of nutrients, but their extremely high water content & useful amounts of fibre & vitamin C make them an excellent choice for any health conscious individual such as yourselves. They are also an excellent ingredient in any meat free burger recipe as they are super easy to grate & will go with pretty much anything. Like here, where I have combined them with some sweet potato & coconut for yet another tasty veggie & vegan friendly burger recipe.
Ingredients: (makes approx 6 burgers)
1 large sweet potato
2 large carrots
1 large courgette
1 red pepper
1 cup ground almond flour
1 medium chilli
1 cup dessicated coconut
2 - 3 tsps of whatever spice takes your fancy (I used some mild curry powder & a few chilli flakes)
3-4 tbsps of tomato puree
- First, grate the sweet potato, carrot & courgette & add to a large mixing bowl.
- Then chop the onion, chilli & red pepper very fine & also add to the mixing bowl.
- Add the flour & tomato puree to the mixture & mix by hand or with a wooden spoon.
- Mix into burger patties by hand & roll in the coconut.
- Fry on a high heat in some coconut oil to seal both sides & then pop in the oven for a further ten minutes untill cooked through.