Like many plant based folk my eyes light up when I see falafel or falafel burgers on a menu in Belfast, sadly however these eye lighting moments are few and far between and when a trip to Falafel Eatery & Coffee House on Botanic seems a world away, I am sometimes inevitably forced to make my own.
Imagine my surprise then recently when I came across Aine Carlin and her awesome "The New Vegan" cookbook & her Baked Falafel Burger recipe which I figured I would share with you here today. Please note I exercised a little bit of creative freedom with ingredients my based on what I had at home but they turned out great.
Enjoy responsibly, smothered in hummus & smashed avocado 😋
What you need
- 400g can chickpeas, drained & rinsed thoroughly (to lessen the 💨)
- 25g fresh coriander
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 spring onions
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon of flour (I used oat flour)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt & pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Pop ingredients in food processor & pulse until it all binds together
- Roll into burger shaped patties
- Bake for 20 mins either side
Hurrah for falafels!